The International Geographical Union was established in Brussels in 1922. However, the history of international meetings of geographers is much longer. The first of a series of congresses met in 1871 in Antwerp. Since its early days the Union has consisted of three major components: a General Assembly of the delegates appointed by the member countries which meets at the time of the Congress and is the highest authority of the Union; an Executive Committee which consists of a President, eight Vice-Presidents and a Secretary-General and Treasurer; Commissions and Study Groups which continue their work between General Assembly meetings. The working languages of the Union are English and French.